Sunday, March 31, 2019


Level Editor Demo Project:
    Hi I’m a tech artist who works heavily with Unity game engine and wanted to make a tool that anyone could make simple levels in. I have been working in the games Industry for over 5 years and have been inspired by many games and demos and thought to make one of my own. Since I have a tech art background I wanted to make a Tool that an artist or anyone could use to quickly build puzzle rooms and whole levels to play.
    The Demo’s Goal: A level editor that could build rooms quickly and set up logic for puzzles. The player has the ability to play test and iterate quickly on the level. The games with similar elements or visual styles are (The Legend of Zelda, Fez, Journey, Bomber Man 64, FF Tactics). I will get this working on unity Web Gl, maybe published to Itch.IO. I wanted the presentation to be similar to Oscar Stolberg’s quality of demos. Since they were always well received.

    So I set out to make a demo with those thoughts loosely in place in my mind. I did Pretty well I followed an A* tutorials on pathfinding because I did want a character to walk around my levels. I used the node from the grid of that tutorial to base the node of my level editor on. From there I added colliders to prefabs and set up raycasting to tags to get the info from the node I was ray casting to. After that I just set tags on the nodes to set up rules of updating the visuals.  




    After that I wanted to get pathfinding basics working with the editor so I could have a solid plan on what to clean up and better refactor my code. Since I had the basics from a tutorial updating it work was simple enough. Now I have code to clean and to update the Icons and User feedback of the editor tool.


    The next update will focus on updating the UI, user Experience, Code refactor, updating the visual feedback for the editor tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment